- This event has passed.
HB Youth Shelter Anniversary and Open House
June 7, 2018 @ 3:00 pm - 5:30 pm
Waymakers, a nonprofit organization committed to providing high-quality counseling and support services to struggling OC children and families at their greatest time of need, will celebrate the 12th anniversary of re-opening the doors of the Huntington Beach Youth Shelter on June 7th from 3 to 5:30 PM. The youth shelter is a short-term intervention “safe-haven” for runaway, homeless and at-risk children ages 11-17. Over the years, the Waymakers Huntington Beach Youth Shelter has provided help and resources to more than 1,400 sheltered youth and their families.
On Thursday, June 7th, Waymakers will recognize the following individuals for their support of the Youth Shelter:
- Mission Viejo residentNancy Monte-Frye, senior director of events, Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa, will receive the “Unsung Hero Award” for her continuous commitment to youth going through crises. Nancy plays a significant role behind the scenes of the nonprofit’s annual “Love Grows by Giving” fundraiser, helping to secure food and wine vendors. She and her team at the Hyatt also visit the youth shelter twice a year to decorate the living space and to refurbish snowflakes for the “Light a Light of Love” annual event.
- Huntington Beach resident David Segura, fire chief of Huntington Beach, will receive the “Distinguished Partner Award” for his efforts as part of the shelter’s advisory council to ensure Waymakers provides a safe haven for at-risk youth. David also serves as a vital connection between the shelter and the city of Huntington Beach.
- Orange County resident and shelter volunteer Alberto Pianelli will receive the“Inspiration Award” for exemplifying a spirit of volunteerism and commitment. Alberto is a certified drug and alcohol counselor that meets with the shelter’s residents once a week to provide both group and individual therapy. In addition to his therapy sessions, Alberto and his family support Waymakers’ fundraising events and encourage other individuals and organizations to get involved in volunteering with the shelter.
- Business partner Project Social T will be presented with the “Philanthropist Award” for their support for the past three years, totaling over $40,000. Project Social T often hosts fun days out for the shelter residents including LA Dodgers games and beach barbeques.
- Huntington Beach resident, Dann Bean, owner, Main Street Wine Company, will receive the “Outstanding Service Award” for his hard work and dedication to the Youth Shelter and its residents. As a part of the shelters advisory council and wine committee, Dann is often there when the nonprofit needs a helping hand and often introduces the nonprofit to new individuals and organizations.
- Benefactors Tom and Cynthia Coad will be honored with the “Stand by Me Award” for their outstanding commitment to those served by Waymakers. Tom is a retired dentist and financial planner and Cynthia is a former Orange County Supervisor and advocate for children’s rights. Together, their varied careers and involvement with multiple charitable and arts organizations demonstrate their dedication to those in need in our community. Tom first became involved with the Waymakers Board in 2005 and Tom and Cynthia are annual sponsors of Waymakers’ “Light a Light of Love” event and have been longtime supporters of the organization’s Gang Prevention and Outreach Programs as well as the youth shelter for over 15 years.
Waymakers has also started their “What a Difference a Dollar Makes” Drive with the goal to raise $1,000 per group participating. Each participant is encouraged to collect dollars/change in a unique and creative way while creating awareness to support the young adults who are residents at the Huntington Beach Youth Shelter. This year, the Huntington Beach Youth Shelter will recognize 30 community groups and businesses who helped raise over $20,000 for the “What a Difference a Dollar Makes” campaign.
During the event, youth at the Huntington Beach Youth Shelter will visually display the culmination of the “What a Difference a Dollar Makes” drive by spreading thousands of dollars in change throughout the shelter grounds.
WHAT: Waymakers Huntington Beach Youth Shelter Anniversary and Open House
WHEN: Thursday, June 7, 2018 from 3 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
The schedule of events includes:
3:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Open house tours
3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Program to include award presentations, speeches from three former Huntington Beach Youth Shelter residents and Waymakers’ leadership speeches
4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. Open house toursis
WHERE: Waymakers’ Huntington Beach Youth Shelter, 7291 Talbert Avenue, Huntington Beach, Calif. 92648
You can learn more about Waymakers and the good work they do here.